Detroit Photographic Company was launched as a photographic publishing firm in the late 1890s by Detroit businessman and publisher William A. In 1946, with twelve black and white humorous postcards he created, he started his postcard company, Petley Studios, Inc., which would later become the nations largest publisher and distributor of scenic color postcards with dealers in Arizona, New Mexico, West Texas, southwestern Colorado, and eastern California.
Livingstone, Jr., and photographer and photo-publisher Edwin H. In 1984 Petley sold his postcard business to Bruce Finchum.(Side Note) The Whiting House.
An Agricultural Hall, art building, and dining hall were added in 1887.
By 1890 there were stock barns, concession buiodings, and a Horticulture Hall.
During its final years it was known as "The Geneva Inn". There are very few photographs of the Hotel Geneva, so postcards become a good record. Curt-Teich dated their cards with a code, but that date indicated when the post card was published, not photographed. Notice the lack of any landscaping, even in the large vases.
Designed in 1911 as "The Geneva Inn", "The Geneva" opened in August 1912. Designed in 1911, The Geneva opened in August 1912. Lack of "Hotel Geneva" lettering above Lobby windows. Down spouts above Lobby windows have not been installed.
Within two years, it changed hands due to financial difficulties.
Researchers are responsible for using these materials in accordance with Title 17 of the United States Code and any other applicable statutes.
Minnie Wilberg, Akron, Iowa, from Adolph.” Lacking date. Rights This item has been made available for use in research, teaching, and private study.
By the end of 1914 and the beginning of 1915 the name was changed to the "Hotel Geneva", and it stayed the Hotel Geneva most of its life. Just the right distance an the roads in good shape.
History 1890 1901 1902 1906 1907 1908 1909 1910 1912 1914 1915 1916 1917 1918 1919 1920 1921 1922 1923 1924 1925 1926 1927 1928 1929 1930 1931 1933 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 1940 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1979 1980 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1989 1990 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 2000 2001 2002 2004 2005 2006 2007 Bottom1907 - Divided Back: Postcards with a divided back were finally permitted on March 1, 1907. Dexter began Dexter Press, a one-man shop in Pearl River, New York, in 1920.
The Whiting House, built in the early 1870s was destroyed by fire in 1894. The address had to be written on the right side of the back of the postcard while the left... There are no awnings on the Annex Building to the right in 1901, they are visible in 1903-4. The printing is not clear enough to be able to read the reader board above the door on the left.
This photograph most likely taken between 1897-1900. Under the relief of a lyre with broken strings, includes the epitaph, "This Grave contains all that was Mortal of a Young English Poet Who on his Death Bed, in the Bitterness of his Heart at the Malicious Power of his Enemies Desired these Words to be engraven on his Tomb Stone: "Here lies One Whose Name was writ in Water. On March 1, 1907, postcards with a divided back were finally permitted. Fine Arts Building Chicago." The trees in the foreground are very similar to the 1901 photograph and look to be just a bit smaller in the 1903-04 postcard.
I believe this to be an early four color collotype printing process. Brownes Bookstore (1907 - S.141), Thurber Art Galleries (1909 - S.154) and Mori Oriental Art Studio (1914 - S.
This is the original property where the Hotel Geneva was built in 1911-12. Frank Lloyd Wright designed three projects in the Fine Arts Building. See our Wright Study of Browne's Bookstore Nathan G.